As you know I do love having a bit of a play in the kitchen. It’s the scientist in me! Sometimes my experiments are a success (chocolate pizza, springs to mind!) and others less so. My intention for this cake was to make a rainbow cake for my Sugarcraft class but I discovered once I was half way through weighing everything out that the extra bag of flour that I thought was in the stock room I had actual opened 2 days before! Not to be put off and very aware that my ladies would never forgive me if I arrived to class empty-handed, I had a bit of a rethink.
I’ve made my version of Bakewell tart before and it always goes down well but I had already weighted out the ingredients for a cake. I had a bit of a brain wave and decided to combine the two. And OMG, it was bloody gorgeous”
I used a standard Victoria sponge with a frangipane middle layer sandwiched together with my home-made jumbleberry jam and decorated with traditional feathered glacé icing. If you are not confident of your feathering ability you could just as easily sprinkle flaked almonds onto the sponge mix before popping it in the oven to bake.
- 6 oz margarine
- 6 oz caster sugar
- 6 oz SR flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 free range eggs
- 5 oz ground almonds
- 2 oz margarine
- 5 oz caster sugar
- 0.25 – 0.5 tsp almond extract (I like to really taste the almonds)
- 3 free range eggs
- Jam of choice
- Flaked almonds or glacé icing (4 oz icing sugar and a little water) to decorate.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4.
- Grease and line 3 x 8 inch round sandwich tins
- Beat all the sponge ingredients together in a mixer until smooth
- Divide between 2 of the tins and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Beat all the frangipane ingredients together and turn into the remaining tin
- Bake for 20-30 minutes then remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once the sponges and frangipane are completely cool, sandwich them together with your chosen jam and decorate with glacé icing