As I have mentioned before my sugarcraft ladies always have some form of edible delight waiting for them when they come to class. Heaven help me if I give them shop bought food! One of my ladies, Janice, has been with me for 4 years. She is the life and soul of the party, one of the kindest ladies I have ever met and the naughtiest laugh going! She is having a tough time of it at the moment so I thought I would make her my “Star Baker” tonight, complete with cookies!
8 oz softened butter
5 oz caster sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
10oz plain flour
1.Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan
2.Beat the sugar, egg, vanilla and butter together until light and fluffy
3.Mix in the flour to form a stiff paste
4. Wrap the dough in cling film or put in a freezer bag and chill for at least 30 minutes. It is better to split the dough into smaller batches to prevent you overworking the dough.
5.Roll the dough out to about 3mm or quarter of an inch thick. Cut out the cookies in your chosen shape. Work quickly to stop the dough warming up too much as this makes it difficult to work with.
6.Line a baking tray with parchment paper
7. Place the cookies on the baking tray. Make sure you leave enough space for the cookies to spread.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
9. Allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
10. Dust with icing sugar or even cover with glace icing.